After many lengthy meetings with Micheal Gove we are delighted to see him launch a 'call for evidence' on banning Third party puppy sales. A ban on third party puppy and kitten sales is to be explored by the government as part of a package of reforms to drive up animal welfare standards, the Environment Secretary Michael Gove has announced today. This would mean anyone looking to buy or adopt a dog will either deal directly with the breeder or with one of the nation’s many animal rehousing centres.
Environment Secretary Michael Gove said:
We need to do everything we can to make sure the nation’s much loved pets get the right start in life. From banning the sale of underage puppies to tackling the breeding of dogs and cats with severe genetic disorders, we are cracking down on sellers who have a total disregard for their cats or dogs’ welfare.
This is a further step to raise the bar on animal welfare standards. We are also introducing mandatory CCTV in all slaughterhouses and increasing maximum prison sentences tenfold for animal abusers.
The legislation being put before parliament today will come into force later this year, including:
• Banning licensed sellers from dealing in puppies and kittens under the age of eight weeks;
• Ensuring that licensed dog and cat breeders show puppies and kittens alongside their mother before a sale is made;
• Tackling the sale of weak underage puppies and kittens and the breeding of unhealthy dogs and cats and dogs and cats with severe genetic disorders;
• Introducing compulsory licensing for anyone in the business of breeding and selling dogs and cats;
• Requiring puppy and kitten sales to be completed in the presence of the new owner, preventing online sales where prospective buyers have not seen the cat or dog first;
• Insisting licensed dog breeders can only sell puppies they have bred themselves.
Click here to complete the consultation
COMPLETE NOW - CONSULTATION CLOSES at 11:45pm on 2 May 2018
Fill in and support #LucyLaw
Marc Abraham, Anne Brummer Peter Egan, Lord and Lady Stocton supporting #LucysLaw and an end to Third Party Puppy Sales.